I’ve arrived at the theory that all characters in the show are already dead and in Hell. They don’t know they’re dead so they are making no attempts to get out or move on as per Dante’s Inferno. Or Jerry Pournell’s Inferno.
My evidence for the theory is as follows:
1. Everyone dies in the show. Some more than others and always violently. They’re alive again the next episode.
2. They’re not phased by hideous monsters. These monsters are common and often act like ordinary neighbors until they violently disfigure or kill the main characters. Mostly their Jersey-ite neighbor Carl is the victim. Not that he doesn’t deserve it.
3. Almost every part of their cartoon world is fatally dangerous and indifferent to everyone else in it. Although Frylock is protective of Meatwad.
4. Almost every part of their world is miserable and cruel to everyone else in it.
5. Almost everyone is a personified inanimate object, except Carl.
If I had to guess I’d say the only characters that might possibly realize their situation and start finding their way through Hell would be Frylock and maybe Major League Baseball Star John Ruck.
Feel free to add or refute the theory in the comments below.